Medal Time

Assorted quizzes, competitions, sometimes festive fun and games.
mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mark » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 am

Today's the last chance......
Regards,

Mark

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

"I'm a true believer in karma. You get what you give, whether it's bad or good." - Sandra Bullock

I'm sorry but I don't give advice by pm. Sorry
mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Medal Time

Postby mark » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:46 am

The answer was Iron.

The significance of 26 was that it's the 26th element of the periodic table.

Whilst a star gives off massive amounts of energy fusing items together Hydrogen ==> Helium ==> Lithium etc this all changes when a star starts to produce Iron, The thing about Iron is that it absorbs energy. So when a star starts to produce Iron, it's the beginning of the end.

Gracie's brother is a physics teacher and gave us this better explanation

"The basic background to the answer is that stars, mostly made of helium and hydrogen or other 'smaller' element will undergo lots of fusion (meaning two smaller atoms, such as two hydrogens join together to make a bigger atom, such as helium. Furthermore, two heliums can join together to make even bigger elements), making more and more of bigger elements. The most stable element is iron, which has atomic number 26. Basically, smaller elements will undergo fusion ultimately resulting in the production of iron. and iron pretty much won't undergo fusion (join together) with anything because it's very stable, and therefore it's the theoretical end product after billions of years of fusion in a star.

The question could read...How does a star kill itself? Well depending on the size of the star it will kill itself in different ways. if it is a relatively 'larger' star, it will undergo fusion until the develop a certain sized iron core, at which point the star become too dense and collapses, perhaps resulting in a supernova.

Though not all stars do develop a big iron core that cause their deaths. Some undergo run-away carbon fusion which also destroy the star.

i'll use this one for my physics class...
only the 'stars' of the class will probably be able to get it..."

My apologies if I came across as a smartarse, that wasn't my intention. It was the only medal question that I could come up with that a) couldn't be solved via a 10 second googling and b) Wasn't so obscure that people would never get it.
Regards,

Mark

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

"I'm a true believer in karma. You get what you give, whether it's bad or good." - Sandra Bullock

fruitloop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fruitloop » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 am

Smartarse? not at all! Boring questions are no good, I think it was an excellent question!
[font=Comic Sans MS]
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome. Dr. Samuel Johnson
[/font]

Jan
Diamond
Diamond

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 pm

I have a medal!!!! I have a medal!!!! I have a m......Sorry.
Its really pretty too. LOL.
Like I say I really loved science too but this was beyond me! lol.
willow2
Diamond
Diamond

Postby willow2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi jan

Well done I'm so pleased for you, you've made me smile so thank you. I too got it right but it took Claires clue before it clicked with me, never was any good at science at school
Hugs Wx
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday so why worry
Jan
Diamond
Diamond

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Well done to you n everyone who got one!!
claire b
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby claire b » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:21 pm

thought it was an excellent riddle.... unfortunately I saw a steves reply so stopped looking... Mark you are a STAR.... hope you never lose iron, mate xx
A goal with out a plan is just a wish
Live well, love much, laugh often :lol:
claire b
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby claire b » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Gracies brother... big up to you... was he the one you went to Thailand(?) with Gracie???
A goal with out a plan is just a wish

Live well, love much, laugh often :lol:
Quempel

Postby Quempel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:33 am

Yay! Great work, i've had my own family intrigued waiting for confirmation of the answer! :)
mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:34 pm

Hey Jan,

Is that a shiny medal I see...... ;)

Jan @ Tue 18 Jan, 14:30 wrote:I have a medal!!!! I have a medal!!!! I have a m......Sorry.
Its really pretty too. LOL.
Like I say I really loved science too but this was beyond me! lol.
Regards,

Mark

Return to “Fun and Games”