Sorry I've not been around much, lifes been hectic

Assorted quizzes, competitions, sometimes festive fun and games.
willow2
Diamond
Diamond

Sorry I've not been around much, lifes been hectic

Postby willow2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Guys

Sorry I've not been around much but lifes been pretty hectic and I've also been in my own bubble as I tapered of dhc. My GP has been dropping my dose by 30mg every fortnight but I've been doing my own taper. I'm ashamed to say that I would overdose as soon as I got my new prescription leaving myself enough for the next fortnight at a reduced amount. Although this wasn't a good way to go about it I was determind to be dhc, N+ and codeine free by the new year and I've done it.

I haven't taken anything since the 31st Dec so I'm on day 4 of my CF journey. My last dose was 30mg so I've not really suffered any withdrawals which is great. Those of you that know me will know Ive struggled to become CF for a long time but now I've done it. I didn't want to post on the 1st just in case I caved in and bought some N+ but I've had the opportunity and just don't want to take anything other than my prescribed meds. My next challenge will be being open with my GP when I next see him on the 15th Jan because he'll be wanting to prescribe me with 30mg of dhc thinking that I've been following his taper plan.

Anyway I feel good on the whole though I can't stop thinking about overdosing at the moment but that's all to do with my mental health problems and I've just got to over come the urges. I am determind to stay CF. I know my GP wont prescribe me anything thats opiate based in the future so my bridges are burnt there which is a good thing.

Hope you all had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year. May we all have a happy and CF 2013.

Take care and stay strong, remember it's a journey so be kind to yourselves.

Lots of love & hugs Willow x
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday so why worry
Help!
Diamond
Diamond

Re: Sorry I've not been around much, lifes been hectic

Postby Help! » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:27 am

Hi Willow,

I'm so happy that you are c/f. I've felt your frustration over the past few months - it's been one hell of a journey for you.

There is something you may be able to help me with. I don't know if I should see a GP about an old injury in my ankle - a compound fracture - pins and plates etc that I sustained about 20 years ago. It's become very painful, it swells and I am limping by the end of the day. I don't know if I've been masking the pain with codeine/dhc over the past few years but now other OTC medication doesn't seem to touch it.

I'm scared that a gp will just offer me opiate/opioid painkillers (few doctors in my surgery bother to look up a patient's history before an appointment). If this was to happen I am fearful that my AV will convince me I can take them safely. Is there such a thing as stronger painkillers that aren't addictive?

Someone suggested that I ask for an X-Ray but I'm pretty sure nothing could be done - I've heard of hip and knee replacements but not ankle replacements!

Good luck with your own GP appointment - I'm sure he'll be impressed by you strength and determination to taper off so quickly.

Once again Willow, a HUGE well done and Happy (C/f) New Year.

Much love

H
xxx
claire b
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby claire b » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi
Willow.... your Dr should be thrilled, as I say...... inspite of my prescriptions people get better :D
Help, there are non opiate alternatives, also there are other non medical options that could help... ask for a referral to a pain clinic
If it helps write a short note and hand to the Dr stating you have had a problem with opiates at the start?

claire
A goal with out a plan is just a wish
Live well, love much, laugh often :lol:
Help!
Diamond
Diamond

Postby Help! » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks Claire,

I've an appointment on Tuesday and will explain that I can't take opiates before he has a chance to offer them. It would be absolute insanity to go back down that path again. I'm going to read some of my old posts on here to remind me how far I've come before the appointment, to be on the safe side.

By the way, I'm back on track with my diazepam taper. It's tough. With codeine I had the advantage that it no longer had the desired effect and was making me ill. It's harder giving up something that, if I'm honest, I still like. I have to constantly remind myself where benzo's have taken me in the past and how good it will feel to get rid of the secrecy/shame/guilt around taking them.

Anyway, Happy New Year Claire.

H
xxx
willow2
Diamond
Diamond

Postby willow2 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi H

I take nefopam which is a non opiate pain killer and I suffer from fibromyalgia and osteo-arthritis, I also take anti-inflammatories, the two together seem to help.

As Claire suggested I would ask about pain management, they've helped me in the past. Have you tried ibugel or products like it, you can get stronger ones on prescription, I use 10% ibugel when the pain gets bad. Also I've had a lot of accupuncture on my knee and now don't need it, took about a year of treatment but hey I wasn't paying for it.

Let us know how you get on at the doctors on Tuesday.

Take care hun and keep up the good work.

Love & hugs Willow x
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday so why worry
claire b
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby claire b » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi H
Good luck on Tues
A diazepam taper is always a challenge, but worth it , I hope you are getting support
Take care
Claire
A goal with out a plan is just a wish

Live well, love much, laugh often :lol:
TheLanceShow
Jade
Jade

Postby TheLanceShow » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:27 am

hey, how it goes?

Return to “Fun and Games”