Codeine reduction

If it's nagging you - get it off your chest here!
Lynda33

Re: Codeine reduction

Postby Lynda33 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:59 am

I wish I was able to go cold turkey but I know it won't work for me, tapering is much the best option. It may keep the symptoms of reduction going for a little longer, but I need to know that I can function through the day, cold turkey wouldn't allow that and I would give in.

At the moment it's difficult but I can manage. Last night was difficult, but I went to bed to remove myself from the pull of the tablets. Thankfully I fell straight to sleep which was unusual. I am making myself keep busy during the day and I think that helped.

Glad to hear that you're doing well too. We'll beat this soon. I may think about stopping when I've had a week or two at taking only two tablets because I don't think two tablets a day helps that much, but we'll see. Cold turkey shouldn't be too bad if only taking two tablets, should it?

Then it's the battle of living without codeine.
MargUK
Diamond
Diamond

Postby MargUK » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:39 am

I'm the same - I could never manage cold turkey even if it gets the whole thing over with quicker.

For me - ones and twos in terms of tablets are useless so in the previous taper I did what I've been doing this week - save some up - so if I was on one a day I'd go for 3 days with nothing then have 4 on the fourth day - that way the taper remained the same, I got used to having days without anything knowing it wasn't for ever and still had a bit of relief every few days. That made the final stopping a bit easier.

But - as you say - the tougher battle begins after that ........

We'll get there. :)
Lynda33

Postby Lynda33 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Down to four tablets from today. So far so good. Based on my previous weeks I think I can get to four, but three and a half and lower will be difficult for me to maintain. I'm wondering whether to just stop and ride it out.
MargUK
Diamond
Diamond

Postby MargUK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:05 am

I've been having similar thoughts Lynda - I'm struggling on the 5 this month and I had a couple of 'going cold turkey' thoughts the other day which was very unusual for me. Dreadful anxiety and tension all evening tonight though has changed my mind!

I had an extra dose last night when I wasn't due them so clearly I'm not managing the taper very well even though I can make up for it before I'm due to go down to 4. And then there's this whole Suboxone issue as well which is completely stressing me out - I'm getting differing opinions right left and centre and using an Addict Brain to try and make sense of it is not helpful! Tomorrow I go back to the Drugs Clinic again so will have to make a decision one way or another.

I think you're right though - the lower doses just draw it out but sometimes that's the only way for people to get right off. I think it all depends how determined you are and what you feel you can put up with at the end of the day.

Return to “Moans and Groans”