Codeine reduction

If it's nagging you - get it off your chest here!
MargUK
Diamond
Diamond

Re: Codeine reduction

Postby MargUK » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 am

Tough words indeed Lynda! I also move to 5 on Monday - dreading it a bit because it's been really hard this time to stick to 6 although I've managed it so far and just have a few days left to go. I'm so sick of this whole thing though - it's dominated my life for far too long - but I see that as a positive. You tend not to want to do something you're heartily sick of so this can only be good! :)
Lynda33

Postby Lynda33 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:22 pm

I agree Marg. I recognise there has to be a little kindness towards yourself, but I've been doing too much of it and it hadn't worked so I need to change tactics. I'm down to five this week, but this morning I woke and didn't feel too bad, but still reached for my two tablets.

Instead of taking them I asked myself why and it was about the feeling I get from them not because I wanted them to help with a pain, I just wanted two at that time because it was normal for me. I decided to take one, which I did. Ok I didn't feel relaxed, but I didn't feel too bad either.

I will probably take a further two today which means I'm working below my quota and I can still carry on. I did feel an urge about lunch time to take two but I went out instead.

Each time I take them I am going to ask myself why and then make a choice, do I need them or do I want them.
MargUK
Diamond
Diamond

Postby MargUK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:05 am

Sounds like your thinking process is slowly changing Lynda - all good! I have many many little arguments with myself as I stand in front of the tablets trying to challenge the decision to take them - very often AddictVoice wins but there's been times this last month where I've pushed him out of the way or told him I might be back later :)

At the Drugs Clinic the support worker said all that constant challenging must be exhausting and I realised it was no wonder I was so tired all the time! I'm glad we're on the same number - it helps to know someone else is going through the same struggle :)
Lynda33

Postby Lynda33 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:44 pm

It's definitely a struggle, but I've tried to stop the dialogue with myself as this keeps me thinking about taking codeine. Distraction doesn't help me either because I start to feel fluey and dizzy and this gets worse as time goes on. I've decided to accept this and leave bigger gaps between the tablets in the hope that when I am taking a lower dosage it will help.

For me the only decision is to stop taking tablets and this is uphill all the way, however you are proof that it is achievable and this gives me a momentum to keep going.

The tablets we are taking make us ill so fighting this addiction is well worth it. Keep strong and keep challenging yourself. At times I want nothing more than to take codeine but I'm going to stick to my taper. At those times I just accept that I need to get through this time, taking them won't help it just makes things worse.
Lynda33

Postby Lynda33 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Marg

Really having to resist at the moment ......
MargUK
Diamond
Diamond

Postby MargUK » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 pm

That's quite spooky Lynda we were struggling at the same time today! I'm afraid I didn't last out - I got to 5 and then caved so that's a relapse I won't be able to sort before tomorrow😟 However I'm not beating myself up about it - I knew this week was going to be a hard one - my daughter's moving house and is also 7 months pregnant. She has a 2 year old already so my main job will be looking after her most of the week. They're staying with me till next weekend so it's just having the stamina and energy to keep going the whole day that I find really difficult - I wish I had half the wee one's energy then I'd have no worries :lol:

Back to the drawing board tomorrow. How did you get on? I hope you fared better - you're doing so well and showing such strength through all of this :)
Lynda33

Postby Lynda33 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Although my target is to stay on five or below, I managed on both Saturday and Sunday to take only two tablets first thing in the morning. As you know Marg I struggled mid afternoon yesterday which is one of my critical times, but managed it.

I awoke at about 3.30 this morning with nausea and fuzzy headachy type feeling. I knew if I took two tablets it would improve and I waited until an hour later and then took two. It's been eight hours now and I'm ok'ish so Hoping I can last today again.

I'm guessing the nausea feeling is due to the lack of tablets but maybe I just have a cold. Don't feel on top of the world at the moment, but not too bad.

Hope you're ok and better able today to maintain your target. When you have so much going on its difficult. I'm not a particularly strong and motivated person and I really don't want to do this, but reverting back to six a day is not an option.
MargUK
Diamond
Diamond

Postby MargUK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Yay! Well done you! I've managed to delay my 4 today to lunchtime which is a bit of progress. The killer will come at tea time or in the evening which is when I'll want more and won't be able to do something to distract myself. However will just play it by ear.

All power to your elbow for the rest of today :)
Lynda33

Postby Lynda33 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:41 pm

Tapered down to 4.5 yesterday and it's getting tougher. Still staying within my target but having to battle through.

Marg how are you getting along.
MargUK
Diamond
Diamond

Postby MargUK » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Doing ok taperwise in what's been a very stressful week. Took 4 daily Monday to Thursday which meant I had 4 'in lieu' so to speak which is what I did in the last taper. They don't have to be taken but are there if need be. As it turned out I was very glad of them because I had one of these awful sick headaches the whole day today and as I had a lot on then was babysitting overnight I was glad to have the edge taken off it to allow me to function.

I tried to explain this whole taper plan thing to the person at the Drugs Clinic this afternoon and she didn't advocate it - until I explained it further then she could see how it was getting me used to having less and going days without any tablets so that when the final big zero came along I would be more ready for it.

I wish these professionals would listen to our experiences - they're not all bad! :D

Return to “Moans and Groans”